- J.D. summa cum laude, Michigan State University College of Law, 2010
- B.S., Michigan Technological University, 2005
Dustin J. Daniels is a Member in the Firm’s Business Section and co-chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions practice. He is a corporate lawyer whose practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions, joint ventures, commercial contracting, corporate counseling and other business transactions. Mr. Daniels has significant experience in negotiating, documenting and executing merger and acquisition transactions.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mr. Daniels has represented clients in over a hundred private merger and acquisition mandates involving billions of dollars of transaction value. Such transactions include deals based in Michigan and those on a national and international level and involve businesses ranging from Fortune 500 companies to closely held businesses based in West Michigan. Mr. Daniels has represented both strategic and financial buyers in their business acquisitions. He also has vast experience on sell-side engagements and has been involved from start to finish on numerous auction processes. Mr. Daniels has handled carve out transactions involving a portion of the target business and understands how to address the unique issues involved. He has also advised clients on transactions involving distressed businesses and acquisitions through foreclosure or out of bankruptcy.
Representative examples of merger and acquisition transactions Mr. Daniels has handled include:
- Represented the shareholder group of an audio device company in an auction process and stock sale to a strategic buyer for nearly $200 million.
- Represented a private equity group in numerous asset acquisition transactions in connection with its national rollup strategy in the food distribution business.
- Represented a family owned business in its acquisition of an electronic devices manufacturer for $50 million.
- Represented the shareholder group of a food processing business in an auction process and stock sale to a strategic buyer for $50 million.
- Represented a client in numerous strategic acquisitions of real estate brokerage businesses as part of a national growth strategy.
- Represented a private equity group in its acquisition of a retail home products manufacturer in a §363 bankruptcy sale.
- Represented the shareholder group of a web hosting business in an auction process and sale to a strategic buyer for $100 million.
- Represented a national food distributor in its asset acquisition of a distressed business in the retail food fundraising industry.
Mr. Daniels has represented clients on joint ventures, investment transactions and corporate restructurings. He has handled numerous joint venture and investment transactions and is intimately aware of the complex issues involving management control, additional capital obligations, equity preferences and rights, transfer restrictions, buy/sell rights and dispute resolution mechanisms. Mr. Daniels has extensive experience representing both the controlling and non-controlling party in investment transactions. He has also represented clients in connection with their debt and equity financings.
Representative examples of joint ventures and investment transactions Mr. Daniels has handled include:
- Represented a client in its majority investment in a national real estate brokerage franchising business valued at $300 million.
- Represented a United States business in the formation of a Chinese joint venture with a German company in the automotive business.
- Represented a private equity group in its minority investment in an industrial components manufacturer valued near $50 million.
- Represented numerous businesses and startups in their equity offerings and other capital raising activities.
Corporate Counseling and Business Contracting
Mr. Daniels’ practice also involves corporate formation and governance counseling. He is continually advising clients on various corporate law issues ranging from the choice of legal entity for a specific venture to shareholders’ rights in ownership disputes. Mr. Daniels represents clients in the negotiation and drafting of various business contracts ranging from employment agreements to long-term supply agreements to shareholder agreements. He strives hard to understand his clients’ business priorities and works tirelessly to achieve those goals.
Professional Affiliations, Activities and Honors
Mr. Daniels is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth Western Michigan, the American Bar Association Business Law Section and the American Bar Association Mergers and Acquisitions Committee.
Mr. Daniels was named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly in 2015.
Mr. Daniels earned his Juris Doctor summa cum laude from Michigan State University College of Law with a certification in corporate law. He received his B.S. in chemical engineering from Michigan Technological University and worked for Dow Corning before attending law school. He is admitted to practice in Michigan. Mr. Daniels is married and has two sons.