The Banking and Financial Institutions Practice Group at Miller Johnson provides services to a diverse group of financial institution clients. The attorneys in this Practice Group represent many different types of financial institutions, such as banks, savings and loan associations, and credit unions, including those both state and federally chartered, and ranging in size from large regional banks to smaller community banks. The firm also represents insurance companies and other financial services providers, such as credit a nd leasing finance companies of major business organizations.
The Practice Group has the combined years of training and experience to offer specific guidance in a wide range of areas of financial law. We keep our practice vital by actively staying abreast of the most recent legal and business issues affecting the financial industry. This concern assures our clients of receiving capable, informed representation in a highly competitive and constantly changing industry.
Our services include:
- Drafting and reviewing loan and security documents, policies, and procedures for commercial, real estate, and consumer lending. Preparing standard forms for repetitive use and custom crafting documents for complex or unique transactions.
- Assistance in loan workouts or other restructuring of credit arrangements through informal workout arrangements, as well as formal reorganization and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Litigation to bring collection actions, foreclose on mortgages and security interests, and defense of lender liability claims.
- Assistance in environmental matters including the design and review of policies requiring site assessments for new loans. Advising clients on potential liability under rapidly changing state and federal laws.
- Working with clients on employee relations matters: Preparing employee handbooks and defending clients in wrongful discharge actions.
- Representation of clients in dealings with the Michigan Financial Institutions Bureau, the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision.
- Representation of fiduciary parties in decedents’ estates, conservatorship and testamentary intervivos trusts. Services include preparing probate court pleadings and tax planning.
- Counseling clients regarding employee benefits and executive compensation.
- Representing trustees and custodians of employee benefit trusts, including the preparation of master retirement plans and pooled fund trust agreements.
In addition, on-location seminars are provided for our clients. Unlike typical general-industry seminars, our “discussion sessions” are held in an informal atmosphere. Questions are encouraged and answers are given in clear, meaningful terms. Representative topics include: commitment letters; guaranties; workouts of problem loans; lender liability; environmental liability; rights to bank accounts; foreclosure of mortgages and other remedies.