Miller Johnson’s disability planning and special needs lawyers counsel individuals and families concerning the legal and practical aspects of planning for long-term care, applications for Medicaid, and planning for family members with disabilities or special needs. Our lawyers and paralegals use a team approach to provide you with cost-effective representation.
Special Needs Trusts
- Preparing Special Needs Trusts for family members with disabilities as part of a client’s overall estate plan to maintain government benefits and provide additional funds to enhance quality of life
- Working with persons with disabilities who receive insurance proceeds or money judgments to establish trusts allowing them to continue to receive government benefits during their lifetimes
- Advising family members with special concerns regarding chronic illness, care giver responsibilities, and economic security
- Connecting clients to appropriate community resources
- Negotiating the minefield of government regulations
- Advising Trustees of Special Needs Trusts in making appropriate distributions which will not affect Social Security and Medicaid eligibility
- Appealing Medicaid denials
- Advocating for quality nursing home care
- Reviewing nursing home contracts
- Protecting resident’s rights
- Handling nursing home eviction cases
- Reviewing long-term care insurance policies
As part of Miller Johnson’s Personal Legal Services Group, we also prepare wills, trusts, and living trusts; conduct estate tax shelter planning, and probate estates.