Michigan is central to companies that grow, produce, distribute and sell a wide variety of goods and services. The cannabis industry, which encompasses marijuana, industrial hemp and CBD, faces the same considerations in operating a business but within a complex legal environment. The industry regulatory structure varies from state to state which is further complicated by federal rules and regulations.
That’s where Miller Johnson’s experienced legal team comes in. We partner with those business professionals directly engaged in the cannabis industry, the companies who service the industry as well as companies who have employees that may use medical or recreational marijuana. We’ve pooled our vast legal experience across a multitude of practice areas to form the Cannabis Industry Practice Group. We counsel and offer guidance through the changing landscape of new regulations and address clients’ concerns with contradictory state and federal laws.
We believe enlisting our experienced and trusted advisors in the early stages can often prevent missteps further down the road. Here are some of the services we provide to enable you to execute your business strategies and reach your goals:
- Entity formation
- Applicant requirements and background checks
- Licensing with Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency as well as local licenses/permits
- Corporate finance including raising capital for start-up or expansion
- Acquisitions and joint ventures
- Insurance coverage counseling and recovery
- Interstate transportation
- Dispute resolution
- Trade secrets and protection of intellectual property
- Federal, state and local regulatory compliance
- Distribution and retail matters
- Employer and employee issues
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Real estate acquisitions and sale lease backs
When starting or operating a new business venture, the phrase “time is money” is often referenced. Call on Miller Johnson to partner with you on your ventures in the burgeoning cannabis/hemp industry so you don’t waste time or money.
***Disclaimer: Possessing, using, distributing, and/or selling marijuana or marijuana-based products is illegal under federal law, regardless of any state law that may decriminalize such activity under certain circumstances. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.***