Michigan’s agricultural diversity is second only to California. In fact, Michigan produces more than 300 agriculture commodities. As part of Michigan’s diverse agricultural community, the cannabis industry, which encompasses marijuana, industrial hemp and CBD, faces the same considerations in operating any large agricultural business but within a unique and even more complex legal and financial environment. The industry regulatory structure varies from state to state which is further complicated by federal rules and regulations.
As cannabis industry evolves, Miller Johnson’s experienced legal team remains at the forefront of its transformation. Miller Johnson’s Cannabis Industry Practice Group stands firm on its three guiding principles: impeccable client service, advocating for social equity and social justice in the cannabis space, and educating our community and advocating for the de-stigmatization of cannabis. We see it as our responsibility to not only advocate for our clients, but to also promote and facilitate diversity within the cannabis industry.
Not only do we represent those businesses which are directly engaged in the cannabis industry, but we routinely advise employers with respect to the interplay between state and federal law as it relates to employment related issues in Michigan and across the country. Miller Johnson’s cannabis practice is an interdisciplinary cross-functional team of attorneys poised to guide its clients through the rapidly changing landscape of Michigan’s cannabis industry.
Our team approach is intended to maximize opportunities for our cannabis industry clients, while identifying and overcoming obstacles to that success. In that regard we offer the following services to help our clients meet their business goals:
- Entity formation
- Applicant requirements and background checks
- Licensing with Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency as well as local licenses/permits
- Federal, state and local regulatory compliance
- Distribution and retail matters
- Corporate finance including raising capital for start-up or expansion
- Acquisitions and joint ventures
- Vendor and Customer Agreements
- Insurance coverage counseling and recovery
- Privacy and Data Security
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Farm/Growing Operations
- Seed procurement
- Interstate transportation
- Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations
- Trade secrets and protection of intellectual property
- Labor and Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Real estate acquisitions and sale lease backs
***Disclaimer: Possessing, using, distributing, and/or selling marijuana or marijuana-based products is illegal under federal law, regardless of any state law that may decriminalize such activity under certain circumstances. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.***