Michigan’s agricultural diversity is second only to California. Leafly reported, In 2021 Michigan saw a 72% increase in full-time cannabis jobs with $1.79B in sales. According to Leafly’s report Michigan ranked third in the country for Cannabis employment behind California and Colorado. As part of Michigan’s diverse agricultural community, the cannabis industry (marijuana, industrial hemp and CBD) faces the same challenges as any large agricultural business but within a very complex legal and financial environment. The industry regulatory structure varies from state to state and is often at odds with federal law.
As cannabis industry evolves, Miller Johnson’s experienced legal team exists at the forefront of its transformation. Miller Johnson’s Cannabis Industry Practice Group stands firm on its three guiding principles: second to none client service, advocating for social equity and social justice in the cannabis space, and educating our community and advocating for the de-stigmatization of cannabis. We see it as our responsibility to not only advocate for our clients, but to also promote and facilitate diversity within the cannabis industry.
Not only do we represent businesses that are directly engaged in the cannabis industry, but we routinely advise employers with respect to the interplay between state and federal law as it relates to employment related issues in Michigan and across the country. Miller Johnson’s cannabis practice is an interdisciplinary cross-functional team of attorneys poised to guide its clients through the rapidly changing landscape of Michigan’s cannabis industry.
Our team approach is maximizes opportunities for our cannabis industry clients, while identifying and overcoming obstacles to that success. In that regard we offer the following services to help our clients meet their business goals:
- Entity formation
- Applicant requirements and background checks
- Licensing with Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency as well as local licenses/permits
- Federal, state and local regulatory compliance
- Distribution and retail matters
- Corporate finance including raising capital for start-up or expansion
- Acquisitions and joint ventures
- Vendor and Customer Agreements
- Insurance coverage counseling and recovery
- Privacy and Data Security
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Farm/Growing Operations
- Seed procurement
- Interstate transportation
- Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations
- Trade secrets and protection of intellectual property
- Labor and Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Real estate acquisitions and sale lease backs
***Disclaimer: Possessing, using, distributing, and/or selling marijuana or marijuana-based products is illegal under federal law, regardless of any state law that may decriminalize such activity under certain circumstances. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law. ***