On January 31, 2020, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service released a new version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. The new version contains only minor changes to the form and its instructions. Specifically, the version of the form and instructions contains the following changes:
- Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the Issuing Authority field (when selecting a foreign passport) in Section 2 to add Eswatini and Macedonia, North per those countries’ recent name changes. (Note: This change is only visible when completing the fillable Form I-9 on a computer.)
- Clarifies who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Provides updated USCIS website addresses
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the Department of Homeland Security Privacy Notice
Employers should begin using this updated form as of January 31, 2020. Employers are permitted to continue using the prior version (Rev. 07/17/2017) until April 30. Beyond April 30, 2020, they can only use the new form (Rev.10/21/2019). Contact the author or a member of the Miller Johnson immigration group if you have any questions about the new Form I-9 or any Form I-9 related obligations.