- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2001
- B.A., Western Michigan University, 1997
Eric R. Starck is a Member of the Firm and has been practicing law since 2001. Mr. Starck is a member of Miller Johnson’s Management Committee. His corporate practice focuses on commercial real estate, land use, zoning and environmental law.
Mr. Starck advises clients in all areas of real estate law, including the acquisition, construction, financing, leasing and disposition of real property. He also advises clients on zoning, land use, environmental compliance and environmental due diligence issues.
He works with corporations, developers, contractors, realtors and investors with site selection, evaluation and acquisition and leasing of real property for all types of project. Mr. Starck also works with school districts, municipalities, retail centers, industrial and office complexes, automobile dealerships, residential site condominium and plat developments, title insurance companies, commercial and residential real estate brokerage firms, and senior and multi-family housing throughout the State of Michigan.
His experience includes:
- Extensive experience with the preparation of complex condominium documents for office and mixed use developments
- Assisted with the assemblage of multiple parcels for the redevelopment of blighted or functionally obsolete properties
- Drafted leases for major commercial developments
- Assisted with acquisition and development of retail and commercial complexes
- Represented local and regional banks with regard to foreclosures, environmental due diligence and the subsequent sale and redevelopment of REO property
- Negotiated the resolution of riparian rights and property boundary disputes
- Assisted with the acquisition, development, construction documentation, financing and lease work associated with major retail and commercial development projects
- Assisted with environmental due diligence for a national pharmacy for its sites located in Michigan
- Represented real estate developers in a variety of acquisition, zoning and leasing activity
- Negotiated the resolution of complex easement, zoning and land use issues
- Served as general counsel to real estate companies and affiliated trade organizations
- Represented major logistic companies in a variety of acquisition, zoning and leasing activity
Professional Affiliations, Activities, and Honors
Mr. Starck is a member of the State Bar of Michigan. He is a member of the Grand Rapids Bar Association’s Real Estate Section and Environmental Sections. Mr. Starck is a member of the Education Committee for the Commercial Alliance on Realtors.
Mr. Starck is listed in “The Best Lawyers in America®” for Real Estate Law. In 2009, he was recognized as one of 20 attorneys named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. In both 2009 and 2010, he was named a “Rising Star” by Michigan Super Lawyers.
Mr. Starck is the President of the East Grand Rapids Schools Foundation Board of Directors. Mr. Starck also sits on the Board of Directors for the Kent Country Club.
Mr. Starck received his law degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 2001. He received his undergraduate degree in 1997 from Western Michigan University. He is admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan.