For the 2022-23 school year, the Miller Johnson Education practice group is bringing you a new video series, the 5 Minute Message. We envision this video series being like so many of the telephone calls we have with clients that start with, “Hey, do you have five minutes to talk about …?”
Each month, we plan to cover emerging topics and legal developments that our school clients need to be aware of. Some topics include:
- Political speech around campaign time;
- The changes that will be taking effect later this year to the mandatory reporter law;
- Second semester non-renewals and evaluations; and the
- Legal developments as they happen throughout the course of the school year.
To get back into the flow of the new school year and during the month of August, we plan to provide you with important information regarding the recent developments that have happened here over the course of the summer and what you missed while you were away.
We also plan to discuss several of the key legal developments that we’ve seen here in the last six to eight weeks including:
- The U.S. Supreme Court decision in Kennedy v. Bremerton School District;
- The new proposed Title IX Rules issued by the U.S. Department of Education;
- The new regulations and guidance that have been issued by the U.S Department of Education on 504 compliance;
- Michigan’s new House Bill 4375 that was recently signed into law by Governor Whitmer; and
- Michigan’s Court of Claims decision impacting minimum wage and paid medical leave.
Contact the author Kevin Sutton.
Stay Connected With Us:
- Email: Want to receive Miller Johnson’s education law email updates? Subscribe here and check the “Education Law” email list.
- YouTube: The 5 Minute Message video series and past presentation recordings are available on our Education Law playlist. Subscribe to Miller Johnson’s YouTube channel.
- Twitter: Follow @MJEdLaw on Twitter to stay up-to-date and in the conversation with us.
- Miller Johnson Social Media: Follow us on LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.