- University of London, Bedford College
- LL.M. in Taxation, Wayne State University Law School, 1989
- J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1982, cum laude
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1978
Mark Rizik is Chair of the firm’s Taxation practices. He has extensive experience in matters regarding tax penalty cases, tax refund claims and litigation, estates and trusts as S corporation shareholders, employee and independent contractor classification, employee leasing, business transactions, and tax controversies.
Mr. Rizik has tried hundreds of tax cases successfully. His cases have often resulted nationally published opinions. Mark is recognized among the top national tax lawyers and, among other honors, was named as Best Lawyers Grand Rapids Litigation & Controversy – Tax “Lawyer of the Year” in 2018 and 2013. He is listed in the “Best Lawyers in America®” for Banking and Finance Law, Health Care Law, Litigation & Controversy – Tax, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Tax Law.
Mark has served on the State Bar of Michigan Tax Council and as coordinator of its After-Hours Tax Series Seminars. He is a frequent presenter on tax issues for many organizations including:
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Seidman School of Business at Grand Valley State University
- West Michigan Tax Executives Institute
- Michigan State University-U.A.W. Law Program
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Holt/Diamondale Business Alliance
- State Bar of Michigan
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Lorman Business Center
Mr. Rizik previously was a Senior Trial Attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel with the Internal Revenue Service. He was also a Special Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Department of Justice.