Miller Johnson Supports Food Banks, Education Funding and Arts with Holiday Contributions on Behalf of Firm Clients
For the last 12 years Miller Johnson has thanked its clients by contributing on their behalf to community charitable organizations during the holidays. The firm does this to provide support and much needed assistance to those in need. Contributions are made in lieu of cards, gifts, or other conventional types of client appreciation.
“Because of the significant economic impact of Coronavirus-related shutdowns, we are focusing on economically vulnerable populations and organizations with operations that aid families, youth, and charitable support this year,” said Craig H. Lubben and Robert D. Wolford, Managing Members of Miller Johnson. “We thank our clients for their belief in us as their lawyers and law firm and respectfully ask that support of these organizations on our clients’ behalf be considered by all.”
In 2020, the firm is proud to donate to five organizations across the state that help serve, provide, and support many of the most vulnerable segments of our society …
- Forgotten Harvest – For 30 years, Forgotten Harvest has fought problems of hunger and waste in Metro Detroit by rescuing food surpluses from grocery stores, markets, restaurants, and caterers and taking donated food, which would otherwise go to waste, and delivering it free-of-charge to emergency food providers. Forgotten Harvest delivers 138,000 pounds of surplus food per day to local charities five days a week, providing families in need with fresh and nutritious food. Miller Johnson’s contribution will help aid in the ongoing efforts of serving those in the Detroit area facing food insecurity this holiday season. You can learn more and make a donation of your own at https://www.forgottenharvest.org/
- Grand Rapids Civic Theatre and School of Theatre Arts – Established in 1925, GRCT is the 5th largest community theatre in the country. GRCT produces 9 mainstage productions each year with the help of over 800 talented volunteers and the award-winning Civic School of Theatre Arts has grown to become one of the largest and most respected community theatre education programs in the country providing training for over 1,600 students annually. Miller Johnson has hosted a client, friends, and family holiday gathering at the Civic for over 20 years and we are determined to not let 2020 break our streak. Miller Johnson’s contribution will help facilitate an upcoming performance of A Christmas Carol online to bring us together as a virtual audience. For more information on the Civic Theatre and School visit https://www.grct.org/
- Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes (KLF) – is the largest food assistance provider in Kalamazoo County. Because there is no typical face of hunger, need for food assistance from KLF is self-declared – no proof of income is required. KLF works hard to meet the individualized needs of those facing food insecurity and to provide nutritionally balanced food selections. The organization got its start in the early 1980s when several downtown congregations came together to form an organized community response to growing food insecurity. What they didn’t know at the time is that their initiative would have a profound impact on our community. Today, those grassroots efforts have grown in to an organization that is uniquely positioned to support people from all walks of life. Through a network of food pantries, mobile food distributions, and home deliveries, KLF serves an average of 600 people each day.
“With incredible challenges facing our community this year, this contribution from Miller Johnson will help fortify our efforts during the long days of winter ahead,” stated Greta Faworski, Resource Development Director. Learn more at https://kzoolf.org/
- Ministry with Community – Rebuilding lives is the daily work of Ministry with Community. Their mission is to empower people to make positive life changes by welcoming all people in the Kalamazoo community experiencing homelessness, poverty, mental illness and other challenges and providing food, daytime shelter and other supportive services. Ministry with Community was founded in 1978 by a small group of people that saw a need to provide basic services to adults with no other place to turn. Currently, 250 to 500 meals are served daily. Both breakfast and lunch are served 365 days/year.
“We are incredibly thankful for the support of Miller Johnson during this extremely difficult time in our community,” said Kelly Henderson, Executive Director. “Their support creates a positive impact on the lives of people who come here to meet their daily basic needs.” Miller Johnson is proud to contribute. Find out how you can help MwC at https://ministrywithcommunity.org/
- Winning Futures – Winning Futures is a nationally recognized and award-winning expert in empowering high school students to succeed. Through their evidence-based and structured Workforce Prep program, students throughout Metro Detroit are immersed in a four-year experiential curriculum that includes mentoring, life skills development, goal setting, job readiness training, career exploration, and college success coaching. With help from volunteer mentors and partnerships within the business community, students are transformed into self-reliant, employable, and productive adults with defined academic and career goals, and highly desirable workforce skills. Since 1994, WF has positively impacted 49,000 students and awarded $1.9 million in scholarships.
“We are grateful for the donation Miller Johnson has made to support our high school students as they gain the skills they need to become self-reliant, productive, and successful adults. These funds will support our Melvin Akins Memorial Scholarship which is in honor of an alum who tragically died in an auto accident. Melvin’s positive attitude and relentless effort to overcome obstacles inspired all of us,” Kristina Marshall, President and CEO, Winning Futures.
Following the tragic passing of his first mentee, Kevin Sutton, Managing Member of Miller Johnson’s Detroit office and his wife, Lauren, established the Melvin Akins Memorial Scholarship to be awarded annually to an outstanding Winning Futures student.
Miller Johnson encourages you to read more about the programs and how to volunteer at https://winningfutures.org/
Miller Johnson wishes you peace and joy in the New Year!
About Miller Johnson
Miller Johnson is a full-service law firm providing legal counsel to businesses and individuals in matters of business and corporate, employment and labor, litigation, employee benefits, estate planning and personal legal services from offices in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Detroit, Michigan.
– # # # –