Miller Johnson Leads Chambers High Net Worth 2022 Rankings with Most Top Tier Attorneys in Michigan
Miller Johnson received the highest ranking for the 7th year in a row and four attorneys, the most of any law firm in Michigan, are recognized as Band 1 in Chambers High Net Worth 2022.
Lauretta K. Murphy, Raj A. Malviya, and Robert D. Brower are ranked in Band 1 for Private Wealth Law. Julie A. Sullivan is ranked in Band 1 for Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth counsel. The four are members of a collaborative Private Client team at Miller Johnson which excels at sophisticated wealth management strategies for families and their businesses.
“Miller Johnson is proud of the meaningful solutions and peace of mind we provide our clients,” said Rich Sorota, Chief Executive Officer of Miller Johnson. “It’s wonderful to hear about the trusted thought leadership, collaboration and effective problem-solving our team is providing. We appreciate the confidence and continued trust exemplified by the comments provided in this Chambers ranking.”
Chambers credits Miller Johnson for its client services in regards to “estate planning, tax planning and trusts. The team also has experience in cross-border planning matters.” Chambers includes responses from commentators that provide a basis for its assertion that “(Miller Johnson) has a particularly strong Grand Rapids-based private client team … They do top-notch work and have strong legal backgrounds … They are very efficient and very smart.”
Miller Johnson’s capabilities extend to the most complex concerns of clients to ensure privacy and discreet solutions in significant matters of:
- estate planning
- business succession planning
- family-owned and closely-held business services
- asset/wealth protection
- private foundation, charitable planned giving & philanthropy
- taxation (gift, estate, income, international)
- wills and trusts
- family office services and support
Each ranked lawyer received comments regarding their professional ability in Chambers High Net Worth 2022:
- Lauretta Murphy is Chair of Miller Johnson’s Estates, Trusts and Private Client Practice. She specializes in complex estate planning and administration, taxation of estates, trusts and gifts, business succession planning, family office support, probate, elder law and special needs planning. A Chambers source enthuses: “She is extraordinarily conscientious,” adding: “When talking with her, you feel like the client’s issue is her issue. She is extraordinarily thorough and a great advocate for her clients.” Another interviewee explains: “She understands the implications of planning strategies on income tax better than anyone.”
- Raj Malviya is focused on estate and tax planning and asset protection for individuals and organizations, with a subspecialty in handling estate and tax planning for international based families living in the U.S. or U.S. families living abroad with foreign connections. He is versed in the formation, planning, and governance associated with domestic and foreign charitable and tax-exempt organizations. A Chambers source says: “He is very well respected and an expert in international issues as it relates to tax planning.” This source continues: “He advocates for the client, he is good at challenging ideas and at challenging clients to really think into the big picture of what is happening and what they are doing. He is great with families and has tremendous expertise.”
- Robert Brower is focused on representing a wide range of closely held business owners and executives, their families, fiduciaries, and other individuals in matters involving business and estate planning, probate and trust administration, and contested estate matters. A Chambers source notes: “He is a really zealous advocate for his clients and does a good job of balancing the technical aspects of estate planning and the litigation practice.”
- Julie Sullivan advises on a range of family law matters, including antenuptial agreements, divorce, custody, support and adoption issues. Her practice includes valuation and division of closely held business interests in divorce matters and developing strategies to protect family business property from disruption due to marital discord. She engages in both a traditional practice of personal representation and is regularly engaged as a Mediator for Family Law cases throughout the State of Michigan. She received praise from an opposing counsel in the Chambers ranking process, noting, “She’s not just a tough opponent, she’s also a very nice person to go to trial with. If you could have her as your opponent always, you would have a happy practice.”
About Chamber High Net Worth 2022 Guide
Chambers High Net Worth 2022 Guide covers private wealth management work and related specialties in key jurisdictions around the world featuring in-depth editorial about the leading lawyers and law firms for wealthy individuals and families. Chambers Research is conducted by 200 Research Analysts, across 200 jurisdictions and provides nearly 6,000 rankings tables. Annually Chambers collects hundreds of thousands of responses from clients, the majority via in-depth interview. For more information, visit https://chambers.com/law-firm/miller-johnson-high-net-worth-21:65542
About Miller Johnson
Miller Johnson is a full-service firm providing legal counsel to businesses and individuals in corporate, employment and labor, litigation, employee benefits, and private client representation from its offices in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo. Since 1959, Miller Johnson has been Michigan-based and has served clients worldwide.
# # #