Angela Alvarez Sujek is a member in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group. Her practice is focused on trademark and copyright clearance, prosecution, and enforcement; advertising and marketing; licensing; and corporate transactions involving intellectual property assets.
She handles intellectual property matters internationally and in the United States, including representing clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Angela has handled international trademark protection and enforcement for a number of large portfolios in the automotive, manufacturing, financial, food services, and medical device industries. She has handled numerous contentious actions at the TTAB.
Angela has represented a premier automotive brand in connection with advertising issues and right of publicity issues arising in production of a short film. She has also represented an NFL team in trademark enforcement and right of publicity matters. Angela has negotiated significant trademark licenses involving a major footwear brand and a fashion brand.
Angela has previously been a Guest Lecturer at the University of Michigan Ross School of Business and Wayne State University.
Professional Affiliations, Activities and Honors
Angela is a member of the State Bar of Michigan – Intellectual Property Law Section, International Law Section, and Business Law Section. She is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and serves as Chair of the Trademark Internet Committee and Co-Chair of the Retention and Advancement Subcommittee for the Women in IP Committee.
Angela is a member of the International Trademark Association, participating in the Law Firm Committee as Chair of the Mental Health and Wellbeing Subcommittee.
Angela is a member of the Washtenaw County Bar Association. She is active in the Intellectual Property Section where she is a past co-chair.
Articles and Presentations
- World Trademark Review 1000 – the World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2020-2023
- World Trademark Review 1000 states:
- 2023 – “[Angela Sujek] fully understands her patrons’ business goals and provides solutions and advice that go a long way towards achieving them. She communicates brilliantly with all kinds of people, from entry-level folks to the C-Suite.”
- 2022 – “[Angela Sujek] pitches her advice at just the right level on matters large and small. She has exceptionally sound judgement in dispute negotiations.”
- 2021 – “[Angela Sujek] is a pragmatic and conscientious counsellor who knows exactly what to focus on and solves, rather than just identifies, problems. An excellent communicator, she works effectively with company people from entry level to the C-suite, and is a business partner who plays a huge part in her clients’ success.”
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024, recognized in Trademark Law
Education, Bar and Court Admissions, Clerkships
Angela received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Toledo College of Law. Angela received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Michigan.
Angela is admitted to practice in the State of Michigan.