Vacc to the Future: Michigan Reaches 55% Vaccinated
Yesterday, May 10, 2021, Governor Whitmer announced that 55% of eligible Michiganders had received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. This means Michigan will reach Step 1 of the “MI Vacc To Normal” plan on May 24. Reaching Step 1 means in-person work can resume at all businesses in Michigan on May 24th. As a reminder, here are the details on Steps 2-4:
- Step 2- 60% of Michiganders (4,858,150 residents), plus two weeks
- Increases indoor capacity at sports stadiums to 25%.
- Increases indoor capacity at conference centers/banquet halls/funeral homes to 25%.
- Increases capacity at exercise facilities and gyms to 50%.
- Lifts the curfew on restaurants and bars.
- Step 3- 65% of Michiganders (5,262,996 residents), plus two weeks
- Lifts all indoor % capacity limits, requiring only social distancing between parties.
- Further relaxes limits on residential social gatherings.
- Step 4- 70% of Michiganders (5,667,842 residents), plus two weeks
- Lifts the Gatherings and Face Masks Order such that MDHHS will no longer employ broad mitigation measures unless unanticipated circumstances arise, such as the spread of vaccine-resistant variants.
As of yesterday, Michigan has administered 4,455,395 vaccines. One reason Michigan was able to reach the 55% threshold on Monday was because Michigan’s numbers now include Michiganders vaccinated by providers in other states and by providers who do not report vaccinations to the state dashboard (Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense, etc.). Including those vaccinations resulted in an increase of 232,673 vaccinated Michiganders.
The rate of vaccination in Michigan slowed in the last week of April and that trend continued in the first week of May with 153,065 Michiganders receiving their first dose between April 29th and May 6th. If the vacation rate continues at 150,000 doses per week, Michigan would be expected to reach each step on the following dates:
- Step 2 June 12, 2021
- Step 3 July 1, 2021
- Step 4 July 20, 2021
 Dates include the two week waiting period after each vaccination goal is reached.