Miller Johnson, one of West Michigan’s largest full service law firms, is seeking an experienced full-time Family Law Paralegal in our Kalamazoo office.
- Providing case management – ensure deadlines are met; communicate effectively with clients; efficiently manage documents and data utilizing specialized software and systems (i.e. Summation, Adobe Professional, Trial Director, Docket, etc.).
- Discovery – assist with preparation of pleadings, interrogatories and request for production of documents; prepare responses to discovery requests including obtaining, reviewing, organizing and producing documents; review, organize, summarize and track documents received from all parties; prepare subpoenas and assist with deposition preparation and witness interviews
- Hearing, Mediation, Arbitration, Motion and Trial Preparation – assist with preparation of motions and trial documents; thorough review of records (i.e. asset and liability schedules; mediation summaries; deposition transcripts and documents) for use in briefs and as exhibits; contact and subpoena witnesses for trial; organize documents, pleadings and trial binders.
- Post-Judgment –assist with post judgment issues (i.e. prepare pleadings for collecting judgment; calculate judgment balance; follow-up on QDRO’s; preparation of deeds for transfer of property; etc.).
- Attending and participating in practice group and client meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field and/or Associate’s degree in Legal Studies or Paralegal studies, or certification from an accredited paralegal program
- Minimum 3 years of litigation experience with an emphasis in Family Law
- Knowledge of court and agency processes and procedures
- Familiarity with various court websites, docket searching and document retrieval databases including PACER, etc.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Visio, Excel) and PDF creation
- Concise and effective written and verbal communication
- Exceptional client service skills, discretion, and judgment to ensure client confidentiality
- Proactive and detail-oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Self-motivated professional with the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think creatively to identify and implement proactive solutions
At Miller Johnson, we believe in fostering an exceptional work experience that includes a healthy work-life balance, an inclusive culture that values uniquely talented team members, and a technologically advanced environment.
In addition to a SIGNING BONUS, we offer competitive wages, flexible scheduling, paid time off, and annual performance reviews. Our benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, long-term care insurance, 12 weeks paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, and a 401(k) retirement plan. EOE.