Miller Johnson is seeking an experienced full-time Legal Support Manager in our Grand Rapids Office.
Miller Johnson in committed to excellence in service to our business, institutional and individual clients. We work in partnership with our clients to promote their success by providing innovative, solutions-oriented, cost-effective services.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Legal Administrative Support
- Manage the attorney assignments for legal administrative support staff to ensure work-flow production and exceptional service to clients.
- Proactively manages workload capacity across the legal administrative support team and manages any workload assignment issues, using firm systems and providing reports as needed.
- Coordinates legal administrative support staff and time-off requests to ensure coverage that consistently meets the needs of attorneys and clients for each Practice Group.
- Review and approve timecards to ensure timely payroll submission.
- Maintain professional and effective communication with all legal administrative team members, providing timely and accurate responses.
- Supervises all legal administrative support staff, including Receptionist, and is responsible for the timely and efficient work of the team.
- Facilitate the hiring process and support the training, engagement, and retention of legal administrative support staff.
- Set clear job expectations and provide regular and timely coaching to communicate how well staff is meeting expectations.
- Write and conduct timely performance reviews with input from attorneys and others.
- Provides regular communication to continually engage the team including travel to other offices to meet with team members.
- Takes initiative to update training programs for support staff, focusing on development opportunities.
- Lead the implementation, utilization, and ongoing support for the firm’s system to manage workload, identifying and addressing gaps as needed.
- Support the planning and execution of firm events.
- Serve as backup for other team members as needed.
- Resolve policy and practice questions with input from the appropriate departments.
- Stays up to date on best practices in the legal industry and actively looks for ways to continuously improve.
- Follow all ethical, HR, safety, and security policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field is required.
- Experience in a law firm, or other professional services setting is required; experience as a Paralegal or Legal Administrative Assistant is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years administrative experience with at least 3 years of management experience.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Zoom.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage others.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Ability to think creatively with an aptitude for problem-solving, identifying issues and implementing proactive solutions.
- Exceptional client service skills, with discretion and judgment to ensure client confidentiality.
- Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively in a fast-paced, service environment.
- Proactive, organized and detail oriented.
- Able to work independently, plan ahead, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, move projects forward and meet deadlines.
At Miller Johnson, we believe in fostering an exceptional work experience which includes a healthy work-life balance, a diverse and inclusive culture that values uniquely talented team members, and a technologically advanced environment. We offer competitive wages with annual increases, flexible scheduling, paid time off, and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, long-term care insurance, paid parental leave, adoption assistance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. EOE