Chambers Ranks Miller Johnson Practice Areas and Attorneys Among Michigan’s Best
Chambers USA 2017 – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – again ranked Miller Johnson among Michigan’s best in these four practice areas: corporate/M&A, employee benefits & executive compensation, labor & employment, and general commercial litigation. In addition, four attorneys were ranked as “notable practitioners,” two were designated as “rising stars,” and two more were mentioned as key contacts.
Chambers provides independent rankings and editorial commentary since being founded in 2009. The key to their legal directories and the validity of their awards is the in-depth, unbiased research conducted by their team of more than 170 highly qualified and experienced researchers. Here is some of the editorial they published about Miller Johnson.
Corporate/M&A is noted for its experience in acting for private and publicly held businesses. Also well placed to advise private equity firms and individual investors. Clients are impressed by the strength of the team, describing it as a group of “very capable attorneys” who take a “practical approach to complex legal matters.”
- Jeffrey Ammon is a Notable Practitioner for the ninth consecutive year. He is regarded as a strong corporate lawyer by market sources.
- Dustin Daniels is listed as a rising star for the first year. Sources state he is “highly responsive” and “able to focus on the issues that matter and propose creative solutions.”
- Erik Daly has been listed as a rising star since 2014. Clients single him out for his “sharp intellect, outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work well with counsel on the other side.”
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation offers extensive expertise on various types of benefit plan, including defined benefit pensions, employee stock ownership and cafeteria plans. Also well placed to assist clients on nonqualified deferred compensation plans, as well as issues arising from mergers and acquisitions. Clients find the firm to be “very knowledgeable about current trending topics” and “the services they have rendered are very cost-efficient and directly on point.”
- James Bruinsma is ranked in the top band and is widely regarded as a “very knowledgeable.” He has been listed as a Notable Practitioner since 2009.
- Mary Bauman is well versed in assisting clients with the establishment and termination of a range of employee benefit plans. This is her seventh year of being a Notable Practitioner.
Labor & Employment has solid reputation for its representation of public and private clients across a number of sectors. Highly praised for its experience in management training and alternative dispute resolution. Has a significant traditional labor practice. Clients say “they are responsive and always have our best interests at heart.”
- Peter Kok is described by one peer as “a very accomplished lawyer.” He has been listed as a Notable Practitioner since 2009.
Litigation: General Commercial has extensive trial and appellate experience, excelling in antitrust, financial services and employment-related litigation. Also capable of a range of alternative dispute resolution matters, with skilled mediators and arbitration counsel among the team. Sources highlight the team’s “strong commitment to clients’ long-term strategies.”
- Andrew Portinga and David Gass are listed as key contacts.
Chambers USA is designed to recognize law firms and lawyers in the main areas of corporate law and ranks nine practice areas in Michigan. Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by the largest research team of its kind and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world’s best lawyers and law firms. They are often considered to be the “global gold standard” in law rankings since their lists provides independent rankings and editorial comment. For more information, visit www.chambersandpartners.com.
Founded in 1959, Miller Johnson is a full-service firm providing legal counsel to businesses and individuals in areas such as business and corporate, employment and labor, litigation, employee benefits, family law, and estate planning. The firm is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan with an office in Kalamazoo, Michigan. For more information about the firm, follow Miller Johnson on LinkedIn.
# # #