- J.D. summa cum laude, Michigan State University College of Law, 2010
- B.A. with honors, Michigan State University, 2007
C.J. Schneider is a member of the firm and a commercial litigator. He focuses on commercial contract cases, including supply chain disputes and insurance coverage disputes. C.J. also specializes in appeals.
Mr. Schneider’s experience includes:
- Representing Tier 1 automotive suppliers in disputes with Tier 2 suppliers;
- Prosecuting a $1.5 million dollar breach of contract claim for a real estate developer;
- Defending a $2 million dollar earn-out claim brought against a private equity firm;
- Prosecuting no-fault claims for medical providers, including a verdict exceeding $1 million;
- Defending, as local counsel, a medical products manufacturer against a $215 million contract claim; and
- Representing on appeal a medical products manufacturer in a multi-million dollar dispute with its primary and first-layer excess commercial general liability insurers.
CJ’s published appellate opinions include:
- Bronson Health Care Group, Inc v Titan Ins Co, 314 Mich App 577; 887 NW2d 205 (2016): An insurer assigned by the Michigan Assigned Claims Plan (“MACP”) may not refuse to pay penalty interest after withholding benefits until it satisfies itself that the patient is eligible for coverage through the MACP. The Court of Appeals sanctioned the insurer for frivolously refusing to pay penalty interest.
- Monaco v Home-Owners Ins Co, 317 Mich App 738; 896 NW2d 32 (2016): The phrase “taken unlawfully” in MCL 500.3113(a) does not include the unlawful use or operation of a motor vehicle, like driving without a license.
C.J. has served on the board of Local First for several years and serves as the Secretary/Treasurer. Local First supports locally-owned businesses and has more than 800 member businesses in West Michigan.
C.J. was one of Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s “Up & Coming Lawyers” for 2016. These are legal practitioners who are establishing a name for themselves, go above and beyond, and display the ambition, drive, determination and accomplishments that set them apart among their peers — in their first 10 years in practice. He also was named as a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star for business litigation in 2016 and 2017.