- J.D., University of Notre Dame Law School, 1987, cum laude
- B.S., Central Michigan University, 1984, summa cum laude
Steve Ryan is a Member of the firm and has been practicing law since 1987. He provides litigation and counseling on reimbursement issues to hospitals, health systems, and medical providers. Mr. Ryan is the chair of the firm’s Litigation Section.
Mr. Ryan is the chair of the firm’s Healthcare Reimbursement Group. This practice provides litigation and counseling to medical providers seeking insurance reimbursement on patient accounts. Miller Johnson’s Healthcare Reimbursement Group pursues wrongful denials of hospital claims by third-party payers, including no-fault carriers, health insurance plans and government plans. Mr. Ryan’s practice generates revenue for medical providers through litigation and training in:
- Health Plan denials including eligibility disputes, priority disputes, pre-authorization disputes, denials for pre-existing conditions, COBRA eligibility, and ERISA appeals;
- No-fault denials, including, eligibility, exclusion, coverage and priority issues;
- Insurance payment issues including partial payments, mistaken payments, “customary and reasonable” payments and balance billing issues;
- Contractual issues and audits with government payers, group health plans, and managed care entities;
- Lien or fee claims against hospitals from attorneys representing patients in no fault and liability claims.
The litigation and counseling have achieved the following benefits to hospitals, health systems and medical providers:
- Significantly decreasing the providers’ accounts receivables days
- Significantly decreasing the providers’ self-pay accounts and charity and uncollectible write-offs by obtaining payment from insurance sources
- Increasing collections and the provider’s bottom line by collecting improperly denied claims.
Miller Johnson’s Heathcare Reimbursement Group routinely seek and collect interest and attorney fees from carriers for wrongful denials by enforcing state and federal laws requiring prompt payment of claims. Often, the penalties collected exceed the underlying claim. The Provider Reimbursement Group provides 24/7 access to all claims on a secure extranet site. The Healthcare Reimbursement Group provides electronic bulletins to clients and on-site training with legal updates on all reimbursement issues.
Miller Johnson’s Healthcare Reimbursement Group, which Mr. Ryan chairs, has increased collections overall by pursuing improperly denied and underpaid claims. In the past 3 years, his Health Care Reimbursement Group has collected more than $93 million in denied charges and over $2.5 million in interest and attorney fees from payors which have denied and delayed payment of claims.
Miller Johnson’s Healthcare Reimbursement Group clients include: Advanced Radiology, Allegiance Health, Bronson Methodist Hospital, Bronson Battle Creek, Covenant Healthcare, Crittenton Hospital, Holland Hospital, Hope Network, Lake Huron Medical Center, Lakeland Regional Health System, Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital, Medical Reimbursements of America, Mercy Health Partners (Muskegon, Hackley, Lakeshore and St. Mary’s), Metro Health, Metron Integrated Health Systems, North Ottawa Community Hospital, Oaklawn Hospital, Otsego Memorial Hospital, Pine Rest, Spectrum Health (Spectrum Health Hospitals, Spectrum Health Continuing Care, Spectrum Health–Reed City, Spectrum Health–United, Spectrum Health–Gerber, Spectrum Health–Ludington, Spectrum Health–Zeeland, Spectrum Health-Big Rapids, Spectrum Health-Pennock), St. Joseph Mercy Hospital (Oakland and South Bend), St. Mary Mercy–Livonia and West Michigan Air Care, Inc.
Mr. Ryan is the first practitioner in Michigan whose practice focuses exclusively on reimbursement litigation and counseling. Miller Johnson’s Healthcare Reimbursement Group pioneered revenue cycle litigation.
Professional Affiliations, Activities and Honors
Mr. Ryan belongs to the American Bar Association, State Bar of Michigan, and Federal Bar Association. He is a member of the Grand Rapids Bar Association and served on the Clerkship Committee. He is a member of the Michigan Health and Hospital Association and American Hospital Lawyers Association where he is a member of HMOs and Health Plans Practice Group and Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group. Mr. Ryan served on the firm’s Management Committee and was the Chair of Miller Johnson’s litigation section.
Mr. Ryan is recognized as “Best Lawyer in America®” for commercial litigation and health care law. He is named as a Michigan “Super Lawyer” for general litigation.
Articles and Presentations
Mr. Ryan provides training to hospitals and health systems and their patient accounts departments in the following areas:
- Commercial Billing and Reimbursement
- No-fault for Medical Providers (NF 101, NF 201, NF 301)
- Revenue Cycle Litigation
- Denial Management Protocols
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Medicare Appeals
- Medical Causation and Relatedness Disputes
Mr. Ryan is active with D.A. Blodgett Services for Children and Families and serves on the Advisory Council. He was president of the St. Alphonsus School Board and has volunteered with the Big Brothers Program. He is currently on the Board of ELE.
Mr. Ryan received his law degree cum laude in 1987 from Notre Dame Law School where he was the notes editor on the Law Review. He earned his undergraduate degree summa cum laude in 1984 from Central Michigan University and was valedictorian, and a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honorary. He is admitted to practice in Michigan.