- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1996, cum laude
- B.A., Kalamazoo College, 1992, magna cum laude
Andy Portinga has been practicing for over twenty-five years, primarily in federal court. He has served as the past president of the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Michigan, and he has chaired the United States Courts Committee for the State Bar of Michigan. He has appeared in over 200 cases in the Western District of Michigan and over 100 cases in the Eastern District of Michigan. He has argued cases in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and he has litigated cases in federal courts in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky, California, Massachusetts, and Florida.
Mr. Portinga handles high-stakes, high-profile cases. He represented USA Gymnastics, Inc., in a series of sexual abuse cases involving former doctor Larry Nassar. Mr. Portinga has also handled multi-million dollar cases for Stryker Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, Alticor, Inc., Ally Bank, Boy Scouts of America, Unum Group, and many other clients.
Some of Mr. Portinga’s notable cases include:
- Stryker Corporation v. XL Ins. Am., Case No. 1:17-cv-00066 (W.D. Mich.). Obtained a $9.6 million verdict for Stryker in an insurance bad faith case.
- Doe v USA Gymnastics, Inc., Case No. 1:17-cv-29 (W.D. Mich.). Representing USA Gymnastics in 98 cases involving allegations of sexual abuse by former Dr. Larry Nassar.
- Stryker Corporation v. Zimmer Inc., Case No. 1:10-cv-1223 (W.D. Mich.). Acted as local counsel in a patent case for Stryker, which resulted in a $256 million judgment for our client.
- Ally Bank v. Ace Property and Casualty Ins. Co., Case No. 2:13-cv-15184 (E.D. Mich.). Represented Ally Bank in an $80 million coverage claim, arising out of alleged discrimination in lending.
- Country Entities v. Westchester Fire Ins. Co., Case No. 10-L-68 (McLean Cty. Illinois). Obtained an $8.6 million judgment for the policyholder in a case involving a Directors’ and Officers’ policy.
- Alticor, Inc. v. National Union, Case No. 1:07-cv-1079 (W.D. Mich.). Obtained a favorable summary judgment ruling for Alticor, which led to an $8 million settlement for Alticor.
- Moore v. Lafayette Life Insurance Co., 458 F.3d 416 (6th Cir. 2006). In an often-cited ERISA case, obtained judgment for the ERISA plan and successfully defended the judgment on appeal.
Mr. Portinga was named as Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year in Grand Rapids for Litigation – Insurance in 2024, for Insurance in 2022, 2021 and 2016, for ERISA litigation in 2014 and for Appellate Practice in 2019. He is listed in “Best Lawyers in America®” for Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation – ERISA, and Litigation – Insurance. He is also named as a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in business litigation and was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition 2008. Mr. Portinga also served as the chair for the firm’s Litigation Section.
Mr. Portinga earned his law degree from the University of Michigan. He earned his bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Kalamazoo College. He is admitted to practice in Michigan.
Mr. Portinga is an avid runner and has completed ten marathons. He enjoys hiking and has climbed to the highest point in twelve states. He and his wife hold the fastest known time (“FKT”) for running the 18-mile Jordan River loop in northern Michigan.