- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1996, cum laude
- B.A., Kalamazoo College, 1992, magna cum laude
Andy Portinga has been practicing for over twenty years, primarily in federal court. He is the past president of the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Michigan, and he has chaired the United States Courts Committee for the State Bar of Michigan. He has appeared in over 200 cases in the Western District of Michigan and over 100 cases in the Eastern District of Michigan. He has argued cases in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and he has litigated cases in federal courts in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, California, Massachusetts, and Florida.
Mr. Portinga handles high-stakes, high-profile cases. He currently represents USA Gymnastics, Inc., in a series of sexual abuse cases involving former doctor Larry Nassar. Mr. Portinga has also handled multi-million dollar cases for Stryker Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, Alticor, Inc., Ally Bank, Boy Scouts of America, Unum Group, and many other clients.
Some of Mr. Portinga’s notable cases include:
- Doe v USA Gymnastics, Inc., Case No. 1:17-cv-29 (W.D. Mich.). Representing USA Gymnastics in 98 cases involving allegations of sexual abuse by former Dr. Larry Nassar.
- Stryker Corporation v. Zimmer Inc., Case No. 1:10-cv-1223 (W.D. Mich.). Acted as local counsel in a patent case for Stryker, which resulted in a $256 million judgment for our client.
- Ally Bank v. Ace Property and Casualty Ins. Co., Case No. 2:13-cv-15184 (E.D. Mich.). Represented Ally Bank in an $80 million coverage claim, arising out of alleged discrimination in lending.
- Stryker Corporation v. XL Ins. Am., Case No. 4:01-cv-157 (W.D. Mich.). Represented Stryker after its insurer wrongfully denied coverage for products liability claims. As a result of a trial and two trips to the Sixth Circuit, the insurer paid over $45 million on its policy.
- Country Entities v. Westchester Fire Ins. Co., Case No. 10-L-68 (McLean Cty. Illinois). Obtained an $8.6 million judgment for the policyholder in a case involving a Directors’ and Officers’ policy.
- Alticor, Inc. v. National Union, Case No. 1:07-cv-1079 (W.D. Mich.). Obtained a favorable summary judgment ruling for Alticor, which led to an $8 million settlement for Alticor.
- Moore v. Lafayette Life Insurance Co., 458 F.3d 416 (6th Cir. 2006). In an often-cited ERISA case, obtained judgment for the ERISA plan and successfully defended the judgment on appeal.
Mr. Portinga was named as Best Lawyers’ Grand Rapids Insurance Law Lawyer of the Year in 2016 and the Grand Rapids Litigation – ERISA Lawyer of the Year in 2014. He is listed in “Best Lawyers in America®” for Appellate Practice, Insurance Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – ERISA and Litigation – Insurance. He is also named as a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in business litigation and was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition 2008. Mr. Portinga also served as the chair for the firm’s Litigation Section.
Mr. Portinga earned his law degree from the University of Michigan. He earned his bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Kalamazoo College. He is admitted to practice in Michigan.
Mr. Portinga is an avid runner and has completed ten marathons. He enjoys hiking and coaching his sons’ basketball teams.