- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2011
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2008
Patrick M. Jaicomo is an associate in the firm’s litigation section. His practice spans all areas of civil litigation, focusing on insurance coverage litigation, civil rights and constitutional litigation, and appellate practice.
Mr. Jaicomo’s litigation experience is varied but generally focuses on complex commercial cases. In his practice, Mr. Jaicomo represents both corporations and individuals as plaintiffs and defendants. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, international corporations, and local business owners.
Mr. Jaicomo has submitted briefing in various Michigan and federal courts. He has argued before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Michigan Court of Appeals, and numerous other state and federal courts. Some representative matters include:
- Defending a multi-million dollar tort claim concerning vicarious liability and respondeat superior, having drafted the prevailing summary disposition and appellate briefs
- Winning an injunction against the federal government related to the Affordable Care Act on behalf of a religious employer after negotiation with the US Department of Justice
- Settling a multi-million dollar, multi-layer insurance coverage dispute against Fortune 100 insurers
- Second-chairing a successful jury trial involving issues related to Grand Rapids city ordinance violations
- Mediating a shareholder oppression lawsuit involving family business
- Representing a local official in the Michigan Supreme Court, defending against a writ of superintending control
- Securing reversal by the Court of Appeals of a trial court’s grant of summary disposition in consolidated cases involving issues of res judicata
- Filing a noted amicus brief with the Michigan Supreme Court involving the imposition of nonparolable life sentences on juvenile offenders and the application of the United States Supreme Court’s decision in Miller v Alabama
Professional Affiliations, Activities and Honors
Mr. Jaicomo is the President of the West Michigan Federalist Society. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the Federal Bar Association, the Grand Rapids Bar Association, and the Defense Research Institute. Mr. Jaicomo is also the Vice-Chair of Miller Johnson’s recruiting committee.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Jaicomo served for two terms as law clerk to Chief Justice Stephen J. Markman of the Michigan Supreme Court. In that position, Mr. Jaicomo gained extensive experience in appellate practice, legal research, drafting, and the internal procedures of the Court.
In 2014, Mr. Jaicomo was named a Green Bag Almanac & Reader Honoree for Exemplary Legal Writing. Only 23 honorees were selected nation-wide and included Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Judge Richard A. Posner, and Bryan Garner.
In 2016, the Wall Street Journal published an op-ed authored by Mr. Jaicomo related to first amendment litigation he is handling. Super Lawyers also named Mr. Jaicomo a Rising Star in Business Litigation.
Mr. Jaicomo is an Eagle Scout. He currently is active with the President Ford Field Service Council, where he is a member of the Clays Classic Kickoff Committee. In 2015, he was a mock trial instructor with the Michigan Youth in Government Model Judiciary Program.
Mr. Jaicomo received his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School in 2011. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame in 2008, where he majored in economics and political science.
He is licensed to practice law in Michigan and admitted to all Michigan state, federal, and appellate courts, as well as the United State Supreme Court.