Brandon Duckworth is an Associate in the Real Estate practice working on commercial, industrial, mixed use, and residential development. He represents developers, homebuilders, and real estate owners on management, construction contracts, land use matters, and financing of sales, acquisitions and leases.
Mr. Duckworth has experience counseling financial institutions, developers, builders, landowners, automobile dealerships, and utility companies in the acquisition, disposition, leasing, and financing of commercial real estate projects. He has handled master planned community examinations, title examinations of real property, and purchase and sale agreements of raw and developed real estate.
Mr. Duckworth executes real estate components of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and secured financing. He represent banks, credit unions, insurance companies, and other financial lenders in connection with secured lending transactions, including construction financing, credit facilities, permanent financing, mezzanine financing, and real estate loan syndications.
Commercial Real Estate Acquisition Transactions
- Represented a large, publicly traded real estate developer in its acquisition and development of approximately 476 acres in southern Virginia
- Represented a Fortune 500 homebuilder in its acquisition and development of approximately 175 subdivided lots near Richmond, Virginia
- Represented a Fortune 500 homebuilder in its acquisition and development of approximately 50 lakefront lots in Virginia
Commercial Real Estate Disposition Transactions
- Represented a multifamily property management company in the disposition of an apartment complex located in the research triangle area of North Carolina
- Represented a Fortune 500 commercial fleet management company in the disposition of undeveloped real property located in Richmond, Virginia
Commercial Lending Transactions
- Represented a national bank in the multimillion-dollar construction loan financing for the construction of a 53-unit multifamily residential complex in South Carolina
- Represented a national insurance company in restructuring an existing credit facility, including replacing the existing borrower with an affiliate of the existing borrower, and simultaneously substituting the collateral associated with the existing credit facility
- Represented a national insurance company in the multimillion-dollar permanent loan financing for the acquisition of an apartment complex located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Represented a regional bank in the extension of a multimillion-dollar credit facility for the acquisition and construction of approximately 80 acres in Kentucky
General Corporate Transactions
- Represented a national property management company in assessing the company’s compliance with various brokerage license statutes
- Represented a real estate developer with the restructuring of an LLC into a “Series LLC.”
Professional Experience and Affiliations
Mr. Duckworth joined Miller Johnson from Womble Bond Dickinson in Washington, D.C., where he worked in the Capital Markets & Commercial Real Estate practice. Prior he was at Parker Poe in Charlotte, North Carolina, in the Commercial Real Estate & Financial Services practice. He served a clerkship while in law school with the Tennessee Attorney General’s Office, Real Property Division.
Mr. Duckworth has a history of pro bone representation of underserved members of the community. He represented a non-profit youth homeless shelter in leasing multiple multifamily residential units in Washington, D.C., in which he assisted with the negotiation and drafting of the leases. Mr. Duckworth represented a non-profit animal sanctuary in multiple transactional matters, including responsibility of drafting an operating agreement for the restructured company. Mr. Duckworth represented abused children as an appointed Guardian Ad Litem responsible for drafting multiple briefs presented to the North Carolina Supreme Court and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Mr. Duckworth earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt Law School. He was awarded the Hunt National Moot Court Award, was on the New York City Bar National Moot Court Team, served as Associate Counsel on the Moot Court Board, and was a member of the Black Law Student Association (BLSA). He received a Bachelor of Arts in Government and Politics from the University of Maryland.